Connect with us

Blog Hub

Japan Visa

Top 4 Japan Visas for African Immigrants

Top 4 Japan Visas for African Immigrants

When you’re looking to migrate to Japan, you may be overwhelmed by the variety of visas that are available to you. Not only are there several types of visas that can help you gain entry into the country, but each type comes with its own set of requirements and rules that must be followed or your visa will be voided. In this guide on the best types of Japanese visas for African immigrants, we’ll help you choose the one that’s right for your needs and bring you up to speed on everything else that you need to know about getting your visa approved.

1) Japan Student Visa


The Japan Student Visa is one of five visas available to individuals who wish to come to Japan. Unlike other visas, it allows you to work part-time while attending school full-time. It’s also possible to renew your visa, which means you can spend up to three years in Japan with a student visa. To be eligible for a student visa, you must have completed at least one year of college and have an acceptance letter from a recognized institution in Japan. You will also need letters of recommendation from an academic advisor or counselor and supporting documentation (such as financial aid documents). Additionally, you must take the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) level 2 or higher before coming over.

Japan Student Visa Requirements

When you apply for a Japanese Student Visa, you need several documents that support your application. The documents you need for a Japan Student Visa application include:

  • Student Visa Application Form, which you can download from
  • Your valid passport along with photocopies of it
  • Passport-size pictures with the following specifications:
    • Dimensions: 4cm x 3cm
    • Taken within the last three months
    • Plain white background, without any patterns and shadows
    • You must be starting straight ahead, with a neutral facial expression
    • Your face has to be fully visible
    • The picture must be good quality (focused, clear, and sharp)
  • The Certificate of Eligibility
  • Letter of Admission into the Japanese educational institution, indicating the duration and details of the course
  • Previous academic and/or professional qualifications, as applicable (diploma, transcripts, etc.)
  • Proof you can meet the financial requirements for the duration of your stay in Japan. The financial requirements for a Japanese Student Visa are about 2 Million Yen for one year. You can show that you meet the necessary financial requirements through:
    • Bank or income statements
    • Proof of a Scholarship
    • Proof you receive Financial Aid
    • Letter of Sponsorship, if someone is sponsoring you, along with your sponsor’s proof of income and bank statements
  • If required:
    • Letter of Invitation and Letter of Guarantee issued from your educational institution
    • A Motivational or Cover Letter, written by you stating the reason for your travel
See also  Best Spain Visa Types for African Immigrants

Find out more requirements and how to apply for Japan Student Visa visit https://visaguide.world/asia/japan-visa/student/

2) The Professional Internship Visa

The best type of Japan visa for most Africans looking to live in Japan is called a professional internship visa. The application process is not difficult and you can apply directly through an approved agent. Upon arrival, applicants stay in Japan on a temporary work visa valid for up to five years, depending on their line of work. Professional interns are expected to pay taxes, attend Japanese language school, and participate in at least one or two unpaid internships per year while staying in Japan. Successful candidates have gained ample experience within their professional field and they often have enough income or capital backing them (with several thousand dollars per month) to allow them to live comfortably without needing part-time work or assistance from others.

Requirements for an Internship vary case by case.


  1. Applicant’s valid passport, properly signed by bearer
  2. VISA APPLICATION FORM TO ENTER JAPAN (available here), completely filled out and signed by the applicant
  3. One photograph (2″x 2″) attached to application form
  4. Original “Certificate of Eligibility” from the Ministry of Justice in Japan and one photocopy (For instructions for obtaining the Certificate of Eligibility, have your Sponsor in Japan refer to www.immi-moj.go.jp.)


  1. Applicant’s valid passport, properly signed by the bearer
  2. VISA APPLICATION FORM TO ENTER JAPAN (available here), completely filled out and signed by the applicant
  3. One photograph (2″ x 2″) is attached to the application form
  4. Letter from the receiving company/organization explaining the purpose of invitation (Please specify the purpose/background of invitation, details of the activities the applicant will be engaged in, and the duration of the internship.)
  5. Detailed schedule in Japan
  6. Certificate of Enrollment
  7. A letter from the school confirming that the internship program is part of the academic program (Is it credit-bearing? Is it a graduation requirement? How is it related to the applicant’s program?)
  8. A copy of the contract or other documents certifying the terms of the internship
  9. If the applicant will be compensated for the work he/she provides (i.e., the company/organization will provide more than just travel and living expenses in Japan,) please also submit a school transcript from the school the applicant is currently enrolled in and the applicant’s CV with special emphasis on other internships the applicant had in Japan (if any.)
  10. One clear photocopy of all the documents the applicant is submitting
See also  Good Canadian Farm Jobs For Foreigners- No Degree Required

Please visit https://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/english/html/travel_and_visa/visa/study-internship.html for more information.

3) Employment Permit – Highly Skilled Professionals

This is a point-based visa that is issued to highly skilled workers such as engineers and computer programmers. There are quite a few hoops to jump through when applying for an employment permit, but if you qualify, it’s pretty straightforward. It takes 3-6 months to get your work visa once you apply. In order to be eligible for an employment permit, you must have at least 2 years of experience in your field and at least 1 year of Japanese language ability. You can also apply for an Employment Permit if you have completed a Master’s degree or Ph.D. from Japan. If you meet these requirements, then all you need to do is pass the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) N1 exam with at least 50 points or higher. Once approved, it’s possible to renew your Employment Permit every one or two years based on how long you have worked in Japan before being approved initially.

Remember that specific requirement can vary from visa to visa. For example, individuals may need to provide a CV and original university degree or certificate to obtain a work visa in Japan. Other common requirements include:

  • Job offer from a Japanese company
  • Passport
  • Visa application form
  • Photograph

The first step to applying for a work permit in Japan is finding a sponsor, which is typically an employer. The individual or local sponsoring organization must apply to the Regional Immigration Bureau to get the COE. The application process for the COE includes:

  • Submitting a completed application form
  • Submitting a 4cm x 3cm photograph
  • Providing a return mail envelope with a 392-yen stamp
  • Putting together all supporting documents
  • Submitting a letter of guarantee
See also  Best Types of Canadian Visa for African Immigrates

If your employee is applying for a specified skills visa, they must submit a points calculation as well. The points system will rate applicants based on their skills, and they’ll need more than 70 points to be considered for a visa. As an employer, you also need to prepare certain documents for the visa application process, including:

  • Letter of guarantee
  • Invitation letter
  • List of visa applicants
  • Details of your company or organization
  • Itinerary in Japan

4) Dependent Spouse Visa

The dependent spouse visa in Japan is reserved for foreign spouses of Japanese nationals. This visa has a validity period of one year, during which you are allowed to enter and exit Japan freely. You can apply to renew your dependent spouse visa up to three times. However, your application must be accompanied by evidence that you are married or will marry your Japanese partner once in Japan. If you plan on staying in Japan permanently, it’s best to apply for a different type of visa as soon as possible so that your Japanese marriage can be finalized under immigration laws. Another important thing to note about dependent spouse visas is that they cannot be issued within 90 days of entering Japan on another type of visa or receiving an extension or re-entry permit.

Continue Reading
You may also like...

More in Japan Visa

To Top