Getting a job in a country like Canada can be anyone’s dream and there are different ways to go about it such as IMP.
The IMP which stands for International Mobility Program (IMP) is a foreigner’s dream as your employer doesn’t have to take part in the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). When you are selected for the program, all you have to do is to provide the necessary fees and documents.
Note that the IMP is meant mainly for temporary workers and companies who may be looking for summer workers usually make use of the International Mobility Program (IMP).
Below, I will be showing you a proper description of what IMP is, those who qualify for it, how to apply, and how to avoid immigration fraud.
What is IMP
As said before, IMP stands for International Mobility Program (IMP).
With this program, companies who are based in Canada have the access to employ qualified workers for a temporary time in Canada.
Note that it is a normal tradition for customs services to check and carry out a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) on an employer seeking to hire foreigners to fill out a vacant position.
But with the International Mobility Program (IMP), an employer doesn’t need to take part in the LMIA which makes everything faster.
Before we move on, I will be discussing with you the meaning of LMIA and why it is important in Canada.
What is LMIA? LMIA means Labour Market Impact Assessment and it is an important assessment carried out on any employer that wants to hire foreigners.
The reason for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is for Canada to ascertain if the position that is going to be taken by a foreigner wasn’t taken by a Canadian citizen.
In other words, LMIA is a kind of official document of Canada which shows that the position that is about to be filled by a foreigner was unable to be filled by a Canadian citizen.
What Are the Different IMP Streams?
The International Mobility Program (IMP) is not just grouped under one particular labor/work program.
There different work programs that it covers and they include:
- The Post Graduation Work Permit Program
This is among the work permit streams of the International Mobility Program (IMP) and it is mainly for those who are graduates of Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada.
- International Free Trade Agreements
There are some labor and trade agreements between other countries of the world and Canada; this allows Canada to allow qualified citizens of these countries to work in Canada.
Some examples of these labor and trade agreements binding Canada and other countries are:
- Canada-European Union Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA)
- General Agreement On Trade In Services
- North American Free Trade Agreement
- Canada-Chile FTA/Canada-Peru FTA/Canada-Colombia FTA/Canada-Korea FTA
- General Agreement On Trade In Services (GATS)., etc.
- Reciprocal Youth Exchange Agreements
This IMP work permit stream is only applicable to those who are from the age of 18 to 35. A good example of this IMP work permit stream is International Experience Canada (IEC).
- The Intra-Company Transfer Program
This IMP work permit stream is for those who are working for a company in another country and want to make a transfer to Canada. A good example is assuming you were working for a company in Belgium and you want to make a transfer to the branch of the company in Canada.
- Circumstances of Social or Cultural Benefit to Canada
This one is for those who can either contribute socially or culturally to Canada and a great example of this is the Mobilité Francophone Program. Remember that for an application such as this to be successful, you need to have a good track record of how successful you have been in a social or cultural program.
- The Bridging Open Work Permit
This is for those who are currently applying for a permanent residency in Canada and are also applying for a job.
How To Apply for the International Mobility Program (IMP)
The following are the steps to take to apply for Tbr International Mobility Program (IMP):
- The Job Offer/Application
The first step for the International Mobility Program (IMP) is for your employer to submit an official job offer to you. And before this is done, your employer has to do the following:
- Prove to the respective authorities that you (the employee) meet the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) exemption.
- Pay the necessary fees.
- Submit a job offer to you (the employee) through the International Mobility Program (IMP) portal.
Check out https://www.bloghub.pw/jobs-in-canada-for-foreigners-easy-path-to-canadian-visa/ to discover how to find jobs in Canada.
- Apply for Work Permit
Once your employer is done with what was mentioned above, then the next thing to do is to apply for a work permit. Note that under IMP, you will have to apply for a temporary work permit and once it is approved, the following will be given to you:
- A letter of introduction
- A letter of work permit
- Get Ready for Work
Once your work permit has been approved, officially you can now work in Canada pending when your work permit will expire.
How To Avoid Immigration Fraud
Immigration fraud has been on the rise and below are some of the tips to follow to avoid falling for any immigration scam:
- Note that there is no guarantee of work in Canada.
- Note that your visa getting approved by the official authorities is not guaranteed.
- No one can influence the decisions of those who approve visas and work permits.
- Make sure your visa representative is RCIC (Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant).
- Make sure that a retainer agreement is signed.
- Don’t share your UCI or Application number with third parties.
- IRCC doesn’t ask for your personal bank details.
- Don’t make use of representatives that promise a 100 percent guarantee of a visa or work permit.
- No one among the official authorities can offer you access or guarantee of faster visa processing time.
- Only information provided by the IRCC website is true, others might be false information by scammers.
- The employer pays for the LMIA fees and not the employee.
Going to Canada, either for temporary work or permanent work is one of the things that many people would like to experience. IMP is one of the ways that foreigners can easily move to Canada without having to worry about strenuous processes. All the information you need to know about the IMP is provided above including how to avoid falling for immigration scams.