There are some skills that when they are learned, can give you an easy pathway to travel to any part of the world like Canada where such skills are in high demand. You don’t need to apply for a student visa before you can be given an opportunity to travel abroad as a young person.
For instance, there are some countries where tutors that teach English are in high demand and when you possess such skills, you can easily get a job abroad that might grant you a permit. You need to learn the steps that are required to acquire some of these skills before proceeding to apply for jobs. Below is a guide explaining some of these skills and how you can acquire them:
1. Teaching English
Teaching English is the process of tutoring the English language in countries whose first language is not English, this may be China, Japan, or Thailand. Just by teaching English, a lot of people have achieved their dream of moving to a particular country abroad. But what are the steps of getting the English tutoring skill, what are the skill sets you need to have? Below are the steps you can take to successfully teach English in countries like Japan and China.
- Must-have online English teaching skills
Because of the fact that you can easily sell your skillset online, you need to master the art of teaching English to an online audience.
- Attend seminars and buy courses
The fact that you are a teacher doesn’t mean that you should not keep learning or upgrading your skills from time to time. You can get courses on platforms like Coursera and improve your English language skill.
- Learn the ability to engage your audience and be able to identify their strengths and weaknesses.
- Getting a Bachelor’s degree together with a master’s in English will boost your chances of landing a job abroad.
2. Network security
Network security is the process of monitoring and creating a practice of preventing unauthorized misuse, modification, access, and denial of access or network resources in an organization. Persons that have this skill can easily work for startups abroad and it is quite straightforward to acquire this skill if you follow these steps:
- Learn at online learning platforms such as Udemy and Coursera.
- Learn what firewalls and email security are all about.
- Also learn about Antivirus/Antimalware, Data Loss Prevention, Wireless Security, Network Segmentation, Intrusion Prevention Detection, VPN, Network Security in the Cloud Era, and Web security.
- Having a degree related to computer science is a plus.
Yes! There are a lot of photojournalists that have made use of that skill to achieve their dream of traveling abroad. Photojournalism just as the name suggests makes use of images and other graphics to create news. How do you acquire this skill? The following below is a guide on how to acquire a photojournalism skill:
- Learn photography first
To be a photojournalist, you must know how to handle a camera first and the whole concept of photography. You can learn how to do this by taking courses on some of the learning platforms you can find online such as Udemy.
- Work as a freelancer
To gain the experience you need as a photojournalist, you need to work part-time or as a freelancer for many firms or brands. This will help you to have where to refer to as where you have worked before.
- Have a journalism background
It is preferable you have a journalism background either by getting a degree or by getting verifiable training in that field. All this will help you to easily secure a photojournalism job abroad.
SEO stands for search engine optimization while SEM on the other hand stands for search engine marketing. Businesses don’t only rely on paid advertisements to get the online views they have. They need an organic way of leading their potential customers to their website without having to run paid ads. This is where search engine optimization and search engine marketing experts are needed. To get an SEO or SEM skill, below are the steps you need to follow:
- To get started, you can start learning this skill from reliable learning platforms like Hubspot Academy.
- Understand the goal of search engine optimization and marketing in businesses.
- Learn how to do keyword research related to businesses you may work for.
- Master and learn the difference between both off-page and on-page SEM and SEO. As you master the difference, also learn both on-page and off-page SEO /SEM.
- Learn how to identify UX signals and be able to create SEO-Friendly content (this includes text and graphics). This will help search engine crawlers to rank your content up to the first page of search engine results.
- Learn about link building including white-hat link building as this will help you come off as a professional.
5. Social Media Management
Just as the name suggests, this is a skill that requires an individual to manage the social media platforms of a business. They are meant to create content and make posts that go together with the voice of the brand. As simple as this skill may be, it has given a lot of people the opportunity to travel abroad after being employed by a company. Below are some of the processes you have to go through to acquire this skill:
- You can start by getting a better quality education about this skill either through a masterclass or a learning platform online such as Udemy.
- Learn how to create content (both text and graphics) that sounds just like the voice of the brand.
- Have knowledge about internet security to prevent hackers from having unauthorized access to a business’s social media account.
- Learn how to create a content calendar, create official memos, and email.
- Keane how to run social media ads for a company.
There are some skills that people overlook most of the time that can be used as leverage to travel and be employed abroad. Some of these skills include search engine optimization and marketing, photojournalism, teaching English abroad in countries like China and Japan, social media management, and network security. Following the required steps and learning this skill can help you get employment in a foreign company, get a visa, and be employed outside your country.